Great Word Debate
Just checking in - Printable Version

+- Great Word Debate (https://greatworddebate.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main (https://greatworddebate.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Board (https://greatworddebate.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Just checking in (/showthread.php?tid=10705)

Just checking in - Sean-NoMoreVladimir - 06-30-2020

Been a while.  How's everyone doing these days?  So far I'm one of the lucky ones.  No illness, I can work at home and the company I work for hasn't gone out of business yet.  Also, replaced my broken guitars with new guitars... so there's that.

RE: Just checking in - Ymrader - 07-17-2020

I have moved out of touristville to a village in the woods with about 1500 people. Im just round the corner from the site where we are building a house. Wife pops into Berlin a couple of days a week but uses a car. Shes not comfortable wearing a mask for any long period.

The flat we are renting is tiny and came with no kitchen, its a german thing..

Good to hear you are well

RE: Just checking in - Sean-NoMoreVladimir - 07-22-2020

No kitchen? That seems odd. Are people expected to dine solely at restaurants? Is there at least a refrigerator? It would drive me nuts if I couldn't at least have a cold drink without needing to get dressed and walk to some dining establishment.

RE: Just checking in - Ymrader - 07-22-2020

(07-22-2020, 01:47 PM)Sean-NoMoreVladimir Wrote: No kitchen?  That seems odd.  Are people expected to dine solely at restaurants?   Is there at least a refrigerator?  It would drive me nuts if I couldn't at least have a cold drink without needing to get dressed and walk to some dining establishment.

You have to put your own kitchen in. Which we are.

So I am currently getting the flat we have left into decent condition before we have a lawsuit with the landlord. Renovating this short term place and building a house !

Cb

RE: Just checking in - El Robbo - 07-23-2020

Still reasonably sane four months in to all this shit so can't complain myself. Been working from home all through, and will be allowed to continue doing so for pretty much as long as I want. Chances are I'll pop into the office once every couple of weeks or so but otherwise why the fuck would I put myself through a commute every day? Jo b involves going out to meetings in schools regularly so will need to do that now and then, but most schools aren't planning on letting a rush of visitors anyway.

The good thing with the pandemic is that it's shown up just how unnecessary having people in the office is - nothing more than presentee-ism and a need to feel in control of staff from some managers.

Pretty much constantly injured from using the rowing machine I got, but nothing serious other than getting depressingly fucking old!

RE: Just checking in - Ymrader - 07-27-2020

(07-23-2020, 08:48 PM)El Robbo Wrote: Still reasonably sane four months in to all this shit so can't complain myself.  Been working from home all through, and will be allowed to continue doing so for pretty much as long as I want. Chances are I'll pop into the office once every couple of weeks or so but otherwise why the fuck would I put myself through a commute every day? Jo b involves going out to meetings in schools regularly so will need to do that now and then, but most schools aren't planning on letting a rush of visitors anyway.

The good thing with the pandemic is that it's shown up just how unnecessary having people in the office is - nothing more than presentee-ism and a need to feel in control of staff from some managers.  

Pretty much constantly injured from using the rowing machine I got, but nothing serious other than getting depressingly fucking old!

Im 50 this year !

RE: Just checking in - Sean-NoMoreVladimir - 07-27-2020

I'm gonna hit 52 in September. I've been trying to do the '100 push ups a day thing.' Had to put that on pause for a while because I seriously screwed up my left wrist (thought that may have stemmed from taking the money I normally spend on monthly train passes and buying a few new guitars.) Back at it now though. Four times a day I'll do 25 push ups and 50 jumping jacks. I noticed that for the month and a half I did nothing I gained weight shockingly fast.

Getting a bit more nervous about the future though. I can work from home but the wife can't. Her hours have been significantly reduced. That and if America keeps heading in the direction it appears to be heading in we're looking at irreparable damage to the economy. If the whole thing falls apart, no job will be safe. This may end up being a very bumpy ride.