Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Scotland referendum
Did I read that Sturgeon is pressing for another vote?  How likely will that be?
(07-26-2019, 05:55 PM)quelor Wrote: Did I read that Sturgeon is pressing for another vote?  How likely will that be?

She's been pressing for a wee while, it is of course her raisin deter.  Spellchecker thinks it knows best, think I'l just leave that.  My take is, independence is our only hope, but there is no way Westminster is going to allow it, UDI is not really an option and I am not yet convinced there is a majority for indy yet anyway. Give a year of BoJo Brexit insanity and we'll see. Right now, I'm planning to retire and go off the radar as far as possible.
Angry
(07-26-2019, 06:58 PM)Mr Angry Wrote: She's been pressing for a wee while, it is of course her raisin deter.  Spellchecker thinks it knows best, think I'l just leave that.  My take is, independence is our only hope, but there is no way Westminster is going to allow it, UDI is not really an option and I am not yet convinced there is a majority for indy yet anyway. Give a year of BoJo Brexit insanity and we'll see. Right now, I'm planning to retire and go off the radar as far as possible.

Ha, true enough.  I'm still too far away from retiring, but I have my acre of land in Connecticut and have the socio-economic privilege to be able to disengage from most of my country's nonsense.  So much of it just doesn't make sense to me anymore.  

It would be interesting to see the effect of Boris Johnson on that, I suppose.
(07-29-2019, 06:19 PM)quelor Wrote:
(07-26-2019, 06:58 PM)Mr Angry Wrote: She's been pressing for a wee while, it is of course her raisin deter.  Spellchecker thinks it knows best, think I'l just leave that.  My take is, independence is our only hope, but there is no way Westminster is going to allow it, UDI is not really an option and I am not yet convinced there is a majority for indy yet anyway. Give a year of BoJo Brexit insanity and we'll see. Right now, I'm planning to retire and go off the radar as far as possible.

Ha, true enough.  I'm still too far away from retiring, but I have my acre of land in Connecticut and have the socio-economic privilege to be able to disengage from most of my country's nonsense.  So much of it just doesn't make sense to me anymore.  

A new poll has just come out, suggesting that there is now a majority in Scotland for independence, it also looks like we are heading for a 'no deal' Brexit. If 'no deal' is even half as disastrous as an awful lot of people from all sides of the political spectrum seem to think it will be, then I can see that majority increasing and the demand for a second inde referendum will be impossible to resist.

Red
Labour now says they wouldn't block a new independence referendum. They're angling for some sort of pact with the SNP.
First positive news I've heard about the Labour Party since I left it (again) a couple of years ago.
How do I make threads display with the most recent posts at the top?
I thought I'd set it somewhere, but it hasn't taken.
Dunno, you know more about these things than me..
hahohe
(08-06-2019, 10:40 AM)Red Herring Wrote:
(07-29-2019, 06:19 PM)quelor Wrote:

A new poll has just come out, suggesting that there is now a majority in Scotland for independence, it also looks like we are heading for a 'no deal' Brexit. If 'no deal' is even half as disastrous as an awful lot of people from all sides of the political spectrum seem to think it will be, then I can see that majority increasing and the demand for a second inde referendum will be impossible to resist.

Red

It's certainly looking that way. Even some seriously unionist acquaintances are starting to think that even mad woad-spattered kilt-wearing McGlashans (google mcglashan absolutely if you don't get the reference) would do a better job than the shower of self-interested charlatans doon yonder. Interesting times.
Angry