Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anti-Semitism, Islamophobia & Politics
I see the anti-semitism accusations are on both sides of the pond now, as are Islamophobia ones.  

So what the fuck is going on?  Is this something that has suddenly appeared, or something which is being weaponised for political reasons (which doesn't mean the bigotry doesn't exist - it very clearly does on both sides of the political divide!)

Anti-semitism wise, it has only really kicked off in the UK since Labour elected a leader who would change long standing foreign policy on Israel/Palestine.  In the US, it seems to be the fresh intake to congress and younger Dem supporters questioning policy toward the issue.  Islamophobia has been around for a while but seems to be getting more attention as it becomes a case of more pressure not to selectively deem one form of bigotry more important than others.

Anyone able to make any sort of sense of the whole mess?
(03-08-2019, 11:08 PM)El Robbo Wrote: I see the anti-semitism accusations are on both sides of the pond now, as are Islamophobia ones.  

So what the fuck is going on?  Is this something that has suddenly appeared, or something which is being weaponised for political reasons (which doesn't mean the bigotry doesn't exist - it very clearly does on both sides of the political divide!)

Anti-semitism wise, it has only really kicked off in the UK since Labour elected a leader who would change long standing foreign policy on Israel/Palestine.  In the US, it seems to be the fresh intake to congress and younger Dem supporters questioning policy toward the issue.  Islamophobia has been around for a while but seems to be getting more attention as it becomes a case of more pressure not to selectively deem one form of bigotry more important than others.

Accusing an opponent of antisemitism is an effective  and risk-free tactic. The more they try to defend themselves, the more antisemitic they appear. If they deny they are antisemitic , they are simply ducking the issue because they are unwilling to admit they are antisemitic  bastards. If they promise to address  the issue,  they are  admitting that they are antisemitic bastards.
Angry
(03-09-2019, 07:57 AM)Mr Angry Wrote:
(03-08-2019, 11:08 PM)El Robbo Wrote: I see the anti-semitism accusations are on both sides of the pond now, as are Islamophobia ones.  

Accusing an opponent of antisemitism is an effective  and risk-free tactic. The more they try to defend themselves, the more antisemitic they appear. If they deny they are antisemitic , they are simply ducking the issue because they are unwilling to admit they are antisemitic  bastards. If they promise to address  the issue,  they are  admitting that they are antisemitic bastards.

Sorry about my lack of reply above. In a villa and my laptop is buggy.
The antisemite retort is a very powerful defence.The ony way I can see to deflate that is to counter with some reply that carries an equally powerful conversation stopper. My suggestion would be "semite supremacist".